"newsfragments" are now required for each change

"newsfragments" are now required for each change

Hartmut Goebel

Dear Contributors and Maintainers,

Since we are switching to towncrier for managing the changelog now (see [1]), there is one important thing for you to keep in mind when committing or merging:

If a change is noteworthy, there has to be a newsfragment file for the changelog.

Otherwise the change will not appear in the release notes/changelog.

Compiling the changelog manually was a huge effort, thus towncrier will speed up releasing a lot.
Due to towncrier I'll be able to release quicker (and hopefully do more often :-) But this also meant that I well send only a few minutes on the release-notes - just for sorting the entries a bit. If there is no newsfragment, the change will not be recorded - which is a bad thing if the change is user-visible.

You can find more details at https://pyinstaller.readthedocs.io/en/latest/development/changelog-entries.html (to be published later today). For sure we will need some time to get used to this, esp, on which "category" to use, when to use several entries or when to re-use/copy or maybe even change the newsfragment from anpother pull-request.

Noteworthy (but undocumented): If you have neither a pull-request number nor a issue-number, use a *unique* alpha-numeric prefix (without dots!). This will make the fragment to show up in the changelog without a number.

Thanks for you supporting PyInstaller!

[1] https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/issues/3698

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog: https://www.goe-con.de/blog/warum-sie-nicht-perl-programmiern-sollten
Kolumne: https://www.goe-con.de/hartmut-goebel/cissp-gefluester/2010-08-scheingefechte-um-rim

0x7B752811BF773B65.asc (14K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment