how to get pip to install under a specific python version?

how to get pip to install under a specific python version?

Bob Gailer
I have several python versions installed, up to 3.7. pip installs things in 3.5. Why, and how do I get it to target 3.7?

Re: how to get pip to install under a specific python version?

Surdu Alexandru
What is your default python version?
You can install with pip for a particular version by running : <path_to_python>/python -m pip install <package>

E.g. on Windows C:\Python37\python.exe -m pip install <package>

On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 11:32:23 AM UTC+3, Bob Gailer wrote:
I have several python versions installed, up to 3.7. pip installs things in 3.5. Why, and how do I get it to target 3.7?

Re: how to get pip to install under a specific python version?

Steve Barnes

Or better yet on Windows use the py launcher with the -m notation:

                py -3.6 -mpip install … # Installs to your 3.6 installation (64 bit it you have it)

                py -3.6-32 -mpip install … # Installs to your 3.6 installation 32 bit specifically

                py -0 # lists the installed pythons that py has found (default is marked with an Asterix)

                py -0p # lists the installed pythons that py has found with their paths (default is marked with an Asterix)