have pywin32 but pyinstaller wants -- more?

have pywin32 but pyinstaller wants -- more?

davecortesi
Under Windows 7 64bit, Python 3.5, I have pip installed PyInstaller and pypiwin32 packages:
     >pip show pywin32
    Name: pywin32
    Version: 223
    Location: c:\python35\lib\site-packages

    >pip show pypiwin32
    Name: pypiwin32
    Version: 223
    Location: c:\python35\lib\site-packages
    Requires: pywin32

     >pip show pyinstaller
    Name: PyInstaller
    Version: 3.3.dev0+abfc80661
    Location: c:\python35\lib\site-packages

Under interactive Python 3.5 I can "import win32api" and that is fine.
I have double-checked the PATH and PYTHONPATH envars and they include the Python35 lib and site-packages folders.

However PyInstaller is looking for more, in compat.py it looks for

            from win32ctypes.pywin32 import win32api

there is nothing named win32ctypes anywhere and I don't see it in pypi, so that can't possibly work.

When I run

    python -m PyInstaller --version

it crashes with ImportError: No module named 'pywintypes'

and again, there is no such module known to pypi.

So what have I not done to install PyInstaller?

Thanks,
DC

Re: have pywin32 but pyinstaller wants -- more?

Hartmut Goebel
Hi David,

please try installing "pywin32-ctypes".

pywin32 has been removed in 085cd85c493dd7d8387cda2c92528e0444c8d767
Date:   Wed Dec 20 22:20:47 2017 -0600

with this comment:

    pywin32 has previously been a safe dependency,
    but that's no longer the case.  It's a large
    c++ codebase with erratic releases and
    the version on pypi may no longer have
    future releases.

HTH.