Would it be possible to pack a pyinstaller?

Would it be possible to pack a pyinstaller?

Niemann, Hartmut

Hello!

This may sound strange, and it is ...

I have an application that is mainly an editor but needs to generate an EXE file (an installer) from the edited data.

I would like to embed the making of the installer and not rely on external tools like NSIS.

Is there an equivalent to “pyinstaller.exe --onefile” as a call into a python module?

Would pyinstaller work if i embed it into my program using pyinstaller? Are there extra data files that would need to be included?

If I embed pyinstaller into my program like this, would that mean that my program must be GPLed as well?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dr. Hartmut Niemann

Siemens AG
MO MLT LM EN CCI SRD
Werner-von-Siemens-Str. 67
91052 Erlangen, Deutschland
Mobil: +49 173 5342327
[hidden email]
www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife
www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife
Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gerhard Cromme; Vorstand: Joe Kaeser, Vorsitzender; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich, Janina Kugel, Siegfried Russwurm, Ralf P. Thomas; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München, Deutschland; Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

Re: Would it be possible to pack a pyinstaller?

Coyot Linden (Glenn Glazer)
On 3/23/17 08:36, Niemann, Hartmut wrote:

Hello!

This may sound strange, and it is ...

I have an application that is mainly an editor but needs to generate an EXE file (an installer) from the edited data.

I would like to embed the making of the installer and not rely on external tools like NSIS.

Is there an equivalent to “pyinstaller.exe --onefile” as a call into a python module?

Would pyinstaller work if i embed it into my program using pyinstaller? Are there extra data files that would need to be included?

If I embed pyinstaller into my program like this, would that mean that my program must be GPLed as well?

I can't speak to the GPL issue, but for the rest of it, you may find this thread informative:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/pyinstaller/5NibAVnJvpg/discussion

Best,

coyot
GLENN GLAZER | Senior Software Engineer
m:
562.305.2920 | email:  [hidden email] | Second Life: Coyot Linden
LINDEN LAB | Create Virtual Experiences

Re: Would it be possible to pack a pyinstaller?

Hartmut Goebel
Am 23.03.2017 um 17:26 schrieb Coyot Linden (Glenn Glazer):

If I embed pyinstaller into my program like this, would that mean that my program must be GPLed as well?

Yes, that's what the GPL says. I'm looking forward see your publication :-)

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog: http://www.goebel-consult.de/blog/vortrag-digitalen-selbstverteidigung-fur-unternehmen
Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/2010-09-mut-zur-beschraenkung

0xBF773B65.asc (14K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment