What's your usual cwd for pyinstaller?

davecortesi
Pyinstaller users, in what current working directory do you usually run it?
There's two (at least) ways of running pyinstaller. Method 1 (from the docs)

    cd /path/to/pyinstaller
    python pyinstaller.py --options... /path/to/project/src/yourscript.py

This creates yourscript/build, yourscript/dist, and yourscript/yourscript.spec
in the  /path/to/pyinstaller directory.

Or, method B:

    cd /path/to/project/src/
    python /path/to/pyinstaller/pyinstaller.py --options... yourscript.py

This creates build, dist, and yourscript.spec in /path/to/project/src/
I'd like to know which method is most popular (or if there's another way)?

In either case, do you also use an alias, shell script, or makefile to
shorten the command?

Thanks,
Dave Cortesi

Re: What's your usual cwd for pyinstaller?

Martin Zibricky
David Cortesi píše v Ne 24. 02. 2013 v 15:07 -0800:

> Pyinstaller users, in what current working directory do you usually
> run it?

> Or, method B:
>
>     cd /path/to/project/src/
>     python /path/to/pyinstaller/pyinstaller.py --options...
> yourscript.py
>
> This creates build, dist, and yourscript.spec in /path/to/project/src/
> I'd like to know which method is most popular (or if there's another
> way)?

I usually use this way - having build/dist/spec in project directory.

For manual I would prefer this way because with the next release you
will be able to install pyinstaller by 'python setup.py install' and the
'A' way will not be always available.

> In either case, do you also use an alias, shell script, or makefile to
> shorten the command?

For manual I would assume that:
- 'python setup.py install' will create shell script pyinstaller on
linux and pyinstaller.exe on windows.
- there is always available command 'pyinstaller' in your PATH
- refer in manual to PyInstaller command as 'pyinstaller'
- and add a note that when PyInstaller is not installed and used from
the extracted tarball - 'pyinstaller' refers to script 'pyinstaller.py'
and in that case you need to substitute it with 'python pyinstaller.py'.

Martin Zibricky píše v Po 25. 02. 2013 v 12:16 +0100:
> > In either case, do you also use an alias, shell script, or makefile
> > shorten the command?
>
> For manual I would assume that:
> - 'python setup.py install' will create shell script pyinstaller on
> linux and pyinstaller.exe on windows.

Another change for the next release will be with the utils in ./utils/
directory - like ArchiveViewer.py etc.:

- they will be renamed to lowercase:  Makespec.py -> makespec.py
- when pyinstaller is installed there will be commands like
'pyi-makespec', 'pyi-build' etc.