Speeding up runtime

Alex B
Hello,

I recently migrated a project from py2exe to Pyinstaller and its noticeable slower to run. Running 'project.exe --help' on py2exe takes about 400ms and 1200ms on PyInstaller.
I have UPX disabled. I've tried modifying the compression level in PyInstaller-3.4/PyInstaller/archive/writers.py and the effect is minimal.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Speeding up runtime

Massa, Harald Armin
Alex,

I recently migrated a project from py2exe to Pyinstaller and its noticeable slower to run. Running 'project.exe --help' on py2exe takes about 400ms and 1200ms on PyInstaller.
I have UPX disabled. I've tried modifying the compression level in PyInstaller-3.4/PyInstaller/archive/writers.py and the effect is minimal.

Assuming you do the single file executable: then you pay for creating temp dir, unpacking everything and running from there.
py2exe does no unpacking, loads with some trickery .dll directly from the zipped file which became the .exe

So, you can get a quicker startup by not packing it in one file, thus avoiding the unpacking.

This of course takes away the elgance of a single file :(

Harald

--
GHUM GmbH
Harald Armin Massa