Redistributing Microsoft DLLs as part of a pyinstaller-made executable

Redistributing Microsoft DLLs as part of a pyinstaller-made executable

Niemann, Hartmut

Hello!

pyinstaller includes by default dlls belonging to the Microsoft C++ compiler alongside with python.exe.

Am I allowed to redistribute these dlls with my program? Where can I find a written license allowing me to do that?

Are there any pitfalls or problems known?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dr. Hartmut Niemann

Siemens AG
Mobility Division
Mainline Transport
Standardization, Remote Control, Display
MO MLT LM EN CCI SRD
Werner-von-Siemens-Str. 67
91052 Erlangen, Deutschland
Mobil: +49 173 5342327
[hidden email]
www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife
www.siemens.com/ingenuityforlife
Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Gerhard Cromme; Vorstand: Joe Kaeser, Vorsitzender; Roland Busch, Lisa Davis, Klaus Helmrich, Janina Kugel, Cedrik Neike, Michael Sen, Ralf P. Thomas; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin und München, Deutschland; Registergericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, München, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-Nr. DE 23691322

Re: Redistributing Microsoft DLLs as part of a pyinstaller-made executable

Denis Akhiyarov
According to this old documentation of py2exe, you have to determine yourself in Visual Studio, if you have the right to redistribute these files:

http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial#Step52

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:41:40 AM UTC-5, Niemann, Hartmut wrote:

[...]

AW: [PyInstaller] Re: Redistributing Microsoft DLLs as part of a pyinstaller-made executable

Niemann, Hartmut
Hello Denis,

thank you for the pointer, it does contain lots of useful information:

> Denis Akhiyarov [[hidden email]] wrote:
> According to this old documentation of py2exe, you have to determine yourself in Visual Studio, if you have the right to redistribute these files:

> http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial#Step52

>> On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:41:40 AM UTC-5, Niemann, Hartmut wrote:
>> Hello!

>> pyinstaller includes by default dlls belonging to the Microsoft C++ compiler alongside with python.exe.

>> Am I allowed to redistribute these dlls with my program? Where can I find a written license allowing me to do that?
>> Are there any pitfalls or problems known?

I found the following section in the python 2.7.13 License.txt file, so including those files into a pyinstaller package
looks ok (because it is a redistribution of the Windows binary build of the Python interpreter).
IF the author of this license was correct, and let's hope that nobody tries to prove me wrong in court about this ...

<Quote>
Additional Conditions for this Windows binary build

This program is linked with and uses Microsoft Distributable Code,
copyrighted by Microsoft Corporation. The Microsoft Distributable Code
includes the following files:

msvcr90.dll
msvcp90.dll
msvcm90.dll

If you further distribute programs that include the Microsoft
Distributable Code, you must comply with the restrictions on
distribution specified by Microsoft. In particular, you must require
distributors and external end users to agree to terms that protect the
Microsoft Distributable Code at least as much as Microsoft's own
requirements for the Distributable Code. See Microsoft's documentation
(included in its developer tools and on its website at microsoft.com)
for specific details.

Redistribution of the Windows binary build of the Python interpreter
complies with this agreement, provided that you do not:

- alter any copyright, trademark or patent notice in Microsoft's
Distributable Code;

- use Microsoft's trademarks in your programs' names or in a way that
suggests your programs come from or are endorsed by Microsoft;

- distribute Microsoft's Distributable Code to run on a platform other
than Microsoft operating systems, run-time technologies or application
platforms; or

- include Microsoft Distributable Code in malicious, deceptive or
unlawful programs.

These restrictions apply only to the Microsoft Distributable Code as
defined above, not to Python itself or any programs running on the
Python interpreter. The redistribution of the Python interpreter and
libraries is governed by the Python Software License included with this
file, or by other licenses as marked.
</Quote>

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Dr. Hartmut Niemann

Siemens AG
Mobility Division
Mainline Transport
Standardization, Remote Control, Display
MO MLT LM EN CCI SRD
Werner-von-Siemens-Str. 67
91052 Erlangen, Deutschland
Mobil: +49 173 5342327