PyQt5 QWebEngine on OSX

Glenn Ramsey-2
Hi,

PyQt5 QWebEngine on OSX requires

--osx-bundle-identifier=org.qt-project.Qt.QtWebEngineCore

so that the helper program QWebEngineProcess.app can work properly.

The only place I can see that this is documented is here:

hooks/hook-PySide2.QtWebEngineWidgets.py

Is it possible/practical to add it to the generated Info.plist?

It should at least be documented somewhere. Where would be a good place?

Glenn

Re: PyQt5 QWebEngine on OSX

Bryan A. Jones
This would make a good issue, since I don't know the answers and some discussion is probably required. Would you mind creating an issue? My questions:

1. Can --osx-bundle-identifier=org.qt-project.Qt.QtWebEngineCore be added programmatically in the QtWebEngineWidgets hook?
2. If so, what happens if a user also sets this value? Can this be detected, and an error raised?

Not directly related to this issue, but:

1. Should the PyQt5 hook always set NSHighResolutionCapable to True in the Info.plist, or would this break in some cases? See https://pyinstaller.readthedocs.io/en/v3.3.1/spec-files.html#spec-file-options-for-a-mac-os-x-bundle.
2. I see periodic complaints about icons not appearing in the dock, and a comment in https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/blob/develop/PyInstaller/hooks/hook-PySide2.QtWebEngineWidgets.py saying that setting LSUIElement to true produces this. Is this another Info.plist setting that should be automatically taken care of?

Again, not being a Mac person, these are all things I don't really understand.

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 12:07 AM, Glenn Ramsey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

PyQt5 QWebEngine on OSX requires

--osx-bundle-identifier=org.qt-project.Qt.QtWebEngineCore

so that the helper program QWebEngineProcess.app can work properly.

The only place I can see that this is documented is here:

hooks/hook-PySide2.QtWebEngineWidgets.py

Is it possible/practical to add it to the generated Info.plist?

It should at least be documented somewhere. Where would be a good place?

Glenn

Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
231 Simrall / PO Box 9571
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS 39762
http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones
bjones AT ece DOT msstate DOT edu
voice 662-325-3149
fax 662-325-2298

Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
High King, High God.
- 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)

Re: PyQt5 QWebEngine on OSX

davecortesi

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 10:07:24 PM UTC-7, Glenn Ramsey wrote:
Hi,

PyQt5 QWebEngine on OSX requires

--osx-bundle-identifier=org.qt-project.Qt.QtWebEngineCore

so that the helper program QWebEngineProcess.app can work properly.

In my (unsuccessful) attempts to get this to run, I had ASSUMED that the bundle identifier in question was that of the QtWebEngineProcess.app itself, the one that is wholly contained inside myscript.app/Contents/Resources, and -- I thought -- launched independently to run in parallel with myscript.app.

Maybe that assumption was wrong, however on reflection it seems odd that Qt would put that requirement on the containing app. Surely there are apps that need to set their own bundle identifier (as your question implies), while also embedding the WebEngine...?