Change release numbering schema?

Hartmut Goebel

Hi all,

currently PyInstaller uses a somehow semantic versioning. For example:

v3.0: support for Python 3
v3.1: Support reproducible builds, Strip paths in compiled code objects
v3.2: main" script is now byte-compiled, docs at readthedoc, etc
v3.3: Support for Python 3.6

v3.4 will bring support for Python 3.7

Now I found myself not releasing v3.4 since I tough: "This is important, this shall be part of 3.4".

One of the reasons for rare releases is the effort for writing the NEWS file, see [2756] for details. Now with [3698] I'm fostering the selection of a release-notes tool (comments are welcome!). And there is [2837] about preparing towncrier (the reason 2837 already exists while the decision is still pending is that 2837 was created as a follow-up to 2756, while 3698 was created when I picked up the topic again after listening to a talk at the EuroPython conference.)

Now I wonder: If we are able to release more easily and to release more quickly, is the current version scheme still appropriate?

Should we change to to a different version scheme based on year and month, like several projects already to, e.g. twisted and towncrier. pip (switched just recently, see [1]) and attrs are using a version based on the year plus release count in the year.

What do you thing?

[1] https://github.com/pypa/pip/blob/18.0/NEWS.rst
[2756] https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/issues/2756
[2837] https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/issues/2837
[3698] https://github.com/pyinstaller/pyinstaller/issues/3698

--
Schönen Gruß
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult, Landshut
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Blog: https://www.goe-con.de/blog/das-fass-ist-voll-grunde-linux-201asystemd2018-zu-meiden
Kolumne: https://www.goe-con.de/hartmut-goebel/cissp-gefluester/2011-11-in-troja-nichts-neues

0x7B752811BF773B65.asc (14K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Change release numbering schema?

Bryan A. Jones
I'm ambivalent about version numbers. However, I would like to see frequent releases of PyInstaller, instead of large releases every now and then. I think this goes back to adopting tools to make the release process easier.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 6:06 AM Hartmut Goebel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
231 Simrall / PO Box 9571
Mississippi State University
Mississippi State, MS 39762
http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones
bjones AT ece DOT msstate DOT edu
voice 662-325-3149
fax 662-325-2298

Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
High King, High God.
- 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)