Big Sur + M1, packages don't run

Igor Riđanović
I installed PyInstaller on a Mac Big Sur with M1 using brew. The standard pip install pyinstaller didn't work for me.

I can package a simple helloworld.py, but when I run it on either the same M1 machine or an Intel machine I get zsh: killed.

I saw some discussion on GitHub about ad-hoc signing of the --onedir contents. I tried that,
but that doesn't fix the issue.

Does PyInstaller work in Big Sur/M1? Is there a build that's more recent than what brew has that I need to install?

Re: Big Sur + M1, packages don't run

Paul Fishback
Hi, did you ever get this problem with pyinstaller resolved? I'm using python 3.9 on a Mac with Big Sur. When I double click the .app, the icon briefly flashes in the icon tray, and the app crashes. The only relevant lines I can find in the Problem Report are as follows:

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000008
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process:   exc handler [88468]

Thanks

Paul

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 11:01:15 AM UTC-4 [hidden email] wrote:
I installed PyInstaller on a Mac Big Sur with M1 using brew. The standard pip install pyinstaller didn't work for me.

I can package a simple helloworld.py, but when I run it on either the same M1 machine or an Intel machine I get zsh: killed.

I saw some discussion on GitHub about ad-hoc signing of the --onedir contents. I tried that,
but that doesn't fix the issue.

Does PyInstaller work in Big Sur/M1? Is there a build that's more recent than what brew has that I need to install?

Re: Big Sur + M1, packages don't run

Igor Riđanović

Yes and no. I installed Conda Python 3.9.2 and Pyinstaller from:

pip install git+https://github.com/rokm/pyinstaller.git@macos11-arm64-support-cleanup

At that point Pyinstaller was complaining about a missing bootloader. I have a colleague  with a similarly configured machine. He gave me his bootloader files (arm64 among them) to replace mine, but that failed to fix the issue.

Then I literally copied his entire Pyinstaller over mine and that fixed the problem, kind of.

Now I can build packages with --onefile option. The non-onefile packages fail to run. I think they complain of missing modules, I can't remember exactly. And this is just when packaging a trivial print('Hello World') script.

I am also setting all this up in a Conda env, I don't know if that could complicate things. I'm definitely packaging while the env is activated.

Hi,

www.metafide.com